IOS Press Celebrates 30th Anniversary
April 7, 2017
Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 7 April 2017 – IOS Press, publisher of scientific, technical and medical books and journals, celebrates its 30th anniversary this week. Friends and colleagues came together on the 4th of April for a mini-symposium in Amsterdam venue De Balie to commemorate this special event. The rest of the week was filled with social events and meetings with IOS Press’s collaborators.
Dr. Einar Fredriksson, founder and director: “IOS Press is based on an academic publishing tradition commenced by learned societies and continued into the 20th century by specialized book-sellers and private sector publishers. With the arrival of computer networks and the Web in conjunction with a rapid growth of research and number of publications, and an increased interest among public sector institutions and funding agencies, our working environment is changing. I see as our company’s main mission to develop authors and their careers. We are humble about what we have achieved so far, but not about the objectives we try to achieve in this changing environment.”
The mini-symposium presented a snapshot of some of IOS Press’ current activities with excellent presentations by heavyweights in Life Sciences and Artificial Intelligence and Data Science. Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease professor George Perry gave an overview of how his journal has grown over the last decade and is now the venue of choice for publishing novel ideas in the field of Alzheimer’s Disease research. In the Artificial Intelligence and Data Science session, Professor Frank van Harmelen, a long-time associate of IOS Press, kicked off the talks and gave a thought-provoking presentation on the end of the article as we know it.
Life Sciences session moderated by Arnoud de Kemp, CEO AKA Verlag
– George Perry, Editor-in-Chief Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
– Aaron Sorenson, scientometrics specialist ÜberResearch
– Tim Clark, Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
– Arie Baak, Co-Founder Euretos
Artificial Intelligence and Data Science session, moderated by Patrick Martinent, CTO Newgen
– Frank van Harmelen, Professor in Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
– Joost Kok, Professor in Computer Science & Professor in Medicine at Leiden University
– Tobias Kuhn, Assistant Professor Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Co-Editor-in-Chief of the journal Data Science
– Zoltán Slávik, Head of IBM’s Center for Advanced Studies Benelux
Details of the full program can be found here.
The IOS Press staff is thankful for the continued support of its inspiring network of business associates, collaborators, friends and family.